The aircraft was allocated to the Royal Air Force as K4259 on the 24th November 1934 at Kenley and officially taken on charge on the 12th January 1935.
It was then issued to 1 ASU on the 21st February 1936 before issue to 24 squadron 11 fighter group on the 5th June 1937. Its next unit was based at Gatwick and it then served with a succession of training units throughout the War such as 10 EFTS and 22 EFTS.
It ended its service at 12 MU where it was sold to Mr A.J.Whitmore on the 1st December 1953. It was registered as G-ANMO on the 22nd January 1954 at Croydon where it remained until sold to a new owner in France on the 22nd July 1955 and registered as F-BHIU.
It returned to the UK and was registered as G-ANMO again on the 15th July 1970. On the 30th July 1972 it was involved in a none-fatal collision with a Stampe at an airshow at Weston Super Mare and was withdrawn from use for rebuild emerging onto the register again on the 27th January 1987.
It has remained airworthy ever since with a variety of owners until acquired by Aero Legends during 2014. K4259 is painted in a post war training colour scheme.
Lawrence Engineering Services (Australia) manufactured 11 Tiger Moths from reconditioned fuselages and spare parts from the RAAF in the period February 1959 to June 1962. Their production facility was at Camden, NSW. The Gypsy engine was built under licence by Holden Motors Australia. This batch were the last Tiger Moths built, BE was the first (LES1) of the batch making her one of the youngest Tiger’s flying. She was imported to the UK during 1999 and acquired by Aero Legends in 2014.
G-PWBE has the advantage of also being able to operate from a hard runway as it has been modified with brakes and a tail wheel.
Australian built Tiger Moths also have a solid leading edge on their wings which makes them slightly faster than UK built Tiger Moths.
This aircraft was delivered to the RAF during 1943, its service history is currently under research.
What is certain is it was sold from the RAF and registered to on the 23rd September 1953 to Airways Aero Association ltd as G-ANDE. From then it was owned by a number of owners until the 14th September 2007 when it suffered damage during a forced landing. It was acquired during 2014 by Aero Legends and commenced a rebuild by Ian Castle at Sywell with a planned completion date of June 2015. When complete it will be finished in a late war camouflage scheme with its original serial of EM726.
*There will be regular updates on EM726’s restoration on this website.