Aero Legends have been operating flight experiences in and with the training and combat aircraft that the RAF used during WWII from Headcorn Aerodrome since 2014. Its location in the heart of Kent allows passengers to travel through the same airspace in which the Battle of Britain was fought so furiously 75 years previously.
Its close proximity to the coast allows for tours of the White Cliffs of Dover in these vintage aircraft and subsequently the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel-le-Ferne, which pays tribute to the Few. Other popular landmarks include Leeds Castle, as well as Dover Castle and Dover Harbour, which served as a key feature on the frontline of the Battle of Britain being relentlessly attacked by the Luftwaffe.
RAF Lashenden became a prototype for the temporary Advanced Landing Ground airfields that were built in France after D-Day, when the need for advanced landing fields became urgent as the Allied forces moved east across France and Germany.
While the Aerodrome was officially introduced in 1943, the Airfields Board requisitioned it in 1942. The RAF named the aerodrome Lashenden, which was an attempt to confuse the enemy as Lashenden is actually to the southwest of the field. On the 6th August 1943, 127 Wing Royal Canadian Air Force moved in comprising of 403 and 421 Squadrons equipped with Spitfire 1Xb’s under the command of ‘Johnnie’ Johnson.
The airfield was then passed over to the United States 9th Air Force and upgraded by the construction organisation. On 13th April 1944 the airfield was taken over by the 100th Fighter Wing, 19th Tactical Air Command, 9th Air Force using Shenley House as its headquarters. On 17th April, 354th (Pioneer Mustang) Fighter Group comprising 353rd, 355th and 356th Fighter Squadrons arrived operating the North American P51D Mustang.
We recommend that anyone attending any Aero Legends flight experiences park in the main car park and make their way down to our building next to the museum.